- 3 pounds medium potatoes (about 10), peeled and quartered
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 12 cups water
BROWNED BUTTER SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/4 cup dry bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a Dutch oven; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes. Stir in flour, eggs, bread crumbs, salt and nutmeg. Shape into sixteen (2-in.) balls.
- In a Dutch oven, bring 12 cups water to a boil. Carefully add dumplings. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 7-9 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center of dumplings comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, in a small heavy saucepan, heat butter and onion over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is golden brown,
- stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in bread crumbs. Serve with dumplings.
2 dumplings with 2 tablespoons sauce: 367 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 100mg cholesterol, 524mg sodium, 51g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 5g fiber), 9g protein.