A fresh mushroom filling is one of the most popular stuffings for Polish pierogi and naleśniki, the latter is known as blintzes or crepes in English.
Since these are vegetarian, they would be perfect for meatless Lenten meals or for wigilia, also known as Christmas Eve supper.
Included here is a recipe for pierogi dough.
- Mushroom Filling:
- 3 cups mushrooms (fresh, finely chopped)
- 2 large onions (finely chopped)
- 4 tablespoons butter (or more)
- 4 tablespoons breadcrumbs (fine dry, or more)
- Optional: salt and pepper (to taste)
- For the Pierogi Dough:
- 4 cups flour (all-purpose)*