Ingredients Needed for This Tortellini Recipe
- Three Cheese Tortellini
- Heavy Cream
- Diced Tomatoes
- Fresh Spinach, Basil & Oregano
- Red Pepper Flakes
How to Make Spinach Tomato Cheese Tortellini
- Cook tortellini: Bring a pot of water to a boil and cook tortellini according to directions listed on package and drain. Prepare sauce while tortellini cooks, if tortellini finishes before sauce then toss with a little olive oil to prevent sticking.
- Make a roux: Meanwhile, in a large and deep skillet or saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add garlic, flour and onion powder and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute.
- Stir in liquids: While whisking, slowly pour in milk and cream, then whisk until smooth. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture begins barely simmer and thicken.
- Add tomatoes, spinach and season: Add tomatoes, spinach, basil, oregano and parmesan. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat slightly and cook several minutes longer until sauce has thickened and cheese has melted.
- Toss cooked tortellini with sauce: Toss cooked and drained tortellini into sauce mixture, thin sauce with a little pasta water or milk as needed.
- garnish and serve: Serve warm sprinkled with additional parmesan cheese and optional red pepper flakes.
Can I Use Frozen or Shelf Stable Tortellini?
In my opinion the refrigerated cheese tortellini is far superior to dried or frozen but if that’s what you normally buy and have on hand then yes it will work in this recipe.