This basic muffin recipe is simple yet soft and buttery. The simple muffin base is easy to make and it can be flavored with a variety of mix-ins. You’ll be sinking your teeth into buttery, soft muffins in no time!
- 2 cups (260 g) all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (180 ml) milk, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (114 g) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin pan with paper liners; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt together.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the milk, butter, and eggs together until well combined.
- Add the flour mixture and stir with a silicone spatula just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the muffin cups and sprinkle the tops with coarse sugar if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with only a few moist crumbs attached.
- Transfer muffins to a wire rack to cool completely.
- You can use oil instead of butter but keep in mind that the texture of the muffins will be much softer.
- A combination of oil and butter works well! Use 1/4 cup of oil and 1/4 cup of melted butter.
- Make the muffins gluten-free by using Bob’s Red Mill 1-to-1 Gluten-Free Baking Flour.
- Buttermilk, sour cream or Greek yogurt can be used in place of whole milk.
- Blueberry Muffins – Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in 3/4 cup to 1 cup of fresh blueberries. Raspberries and diced strawberries also work well.
- Cranberry Orange Muffins – Replace 1/4 cup of the milk with orange juice. Stir in 1 tablespoon of orange zest. And fold in 3/4 cup to 1 cup of fresh cranberries.
- Apple Cinnamon Muffins – Use brown sugar instead of white sugar. Add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon. Fold in 3/4 cup to 1 cup of diced apples. Any tart baking apple works great!
- Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins – Replace 1/4 cup of the milk with fresh lemon juice. Stir in the zest of 1 lemon. And stir in 1 teaspoon of poppy seeds.
- Chocolate Chip Muffins – Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Stir in 3/4 cup to 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips. Coarsely chopped baking chocolate will work great also.