Soft Homemade Flour Tortillas made with butter are absolutely delicious. Soft and tender Flour Tortillas are a favorite for your next Mexican food night. The absolute best Tortillas from Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch.
- 3 1/2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 cup Cold Butter, Cut Into 1 tablespoon pieces
- 1 1/3 cup Hot Water, Almost Boiling
- In a food processor fitted with a dough blade add flour, sea salt, and baking powder. Pulse until combined. If a food processor isn’t available add to a large bowl, and mix until combined.
- Add cold butter and pulse, until butter is the size of peas or cut butter into flour using a pastry cutter.
- Slowly pour hot water through feed tube while mixing dough on dough setting, until dough pulls together, and becomes smooth, but will still be sticky about 2 minutes. If you’re making tortillas by hand slowly pour water into the flour mixture while mixing.
- Knead dough by hand until smooth, about 7 minutes.
- Place dough in a large bowl and cover with a kitchen towel. Allow dough to rest for 30 minutes.
- Divide dough into 4 equal pieces divide each piece into 5 equal golf ball sized pieces. Cover balls with a kitchen towel and allow to rest for 20 minutes.
- Roll dough between 2 pieces of parchment paper or on a lightly floured surface as thin as possible into a circle.
- If you roll tortillas between parchment they can be stored between parchment paper in a ziploc bag in the refrigerator for up to 2 days and baked as needed.
- To cook tortillas heat a grill or heavy duty cast iron pan over high heat until hot. Bake tortilla until bubbly, and lightly brown 30 seconds-1 minutes, flip tortillas, and brown other side.
- Wrap cooked tortillas in a kitchen towel to keep warm.