From Dogg to Lion . . . One of the best parts about traveling to Jamaica to record my reggae album Reincarnated was getting to indulge in some real jerk chicken. Sometimes that thang be so hot that it’ll catch up with you a few minutes after you dig in. The chicken my Jamaican homies cooked up was so fire that you know Tha Bigg Boss Dogg had to get his paws on the recipe. And I got something that will wash all that jerk down perfectly. I bet it ain’t hard to guess what that is. Jah!
INGRUDIENTS FOR JERK CHICKEN
FOR THE JERK MARINADE:
1/4 cup [60 ml] olive oil
2 Tbsp molasses
2 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
2 habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded
6 scallions, white and light green parts, roughly chopped
1 1-in [2.5-cm] piece peeled fresh ginger
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 Tbsp dried thyme leaves
1 tsp ground allspice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cracked black pepper
1 3 1/2 -lb [1.6 kg] whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (2 wings, 2 legs, 2 breasts, 2 thighs)
Cooked white rice, for serving
2 limes, halved
INSTRUCTION FOR JERK CHICKEN
TO MAKE THE JERK MARINADE:
1. In a food processor, combine the olive oil, molasses, lime juice, habaneros, scallions, ginger, garlic, thyme, allspice, salt, and pepper. Process until smooth. The mixture should be thick.
2. Put the chicken into a large ziplock bag, or a large bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken. Seal the bag and manipulate the chicken to coat it in the marinade. Or, using your clean hands, toss the chicken pieces in the bowl to coat in the marinade and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the chicken to marinate for 1 hour, and up to overnight.
TO MAKE THE CHICKEN:
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F [190°C], with a rack in the middle position.
2. Transfer the chicken and marinade to a large roasting pan. Place the pan in the oven and bake for 45 to 55 minutes until the chicken is glazed and dark brown. Check the wings and legs first for doneness, followed by the thighs and the breasts: An instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken (not touching the bone) should read at least 165°F [75°C].
3. Remove the chicken from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes.
4. Serve over cooked white rice with the lime halves for squeezing.